‘Just Did the Story of the Games’ Would Leave Fans ‘Bummed’, Says Resident Evil Director

Last Updated: May 23, 2026

While Zach Cregger, the director behind the latest Resident Evil film, is aware of demands for his project to adhere more closely to the source material, he maintains several solid justifications for crafting a narrative independent of the games.

The filmmaker responsible for Barbarian and Weapons discussed the split reaction to the initial teaser for his Resident Evil entry during an interview with Curry Barker, the director behind Obsession and a comedian turned horror creator. Speaking to Interview Magazine, Cregger acknowledged that he has observed fans expressing dissatisfaction regarding the absence of familiar components within his live-action adaptation of Raccoon City. Despite this, he remains assured that pursuing an original storyline was the correct decision.

Cregger told Barker he felt positive about the film.

“I feel great about it,” “I really like the movie a lot. It’s been a wild week since the teaser came out to see the divided reaction online. There’s so many people that clearly really want the video game, meaning the characters and story from the video game, and anything different than that is really not welcomed. I didn’t realize how passionate some people were about that.”

Whether viewed positively or negatively, the inaugural teaser for the Resident Evil franchise shocked gamers when it displayed a new character sprinting through the undead-ridden avenues of a peculiarly snow-covered Raccoon City towards the end of last month. The footage contained no trace of Leon Kennedy, Nemesis, or Lickers. Instead, the trailer unveiled fresh creatures alongside a selection of faint nods to the Capcom titles upon which it is based.

You may also like:  Subnautica 2 Developers Plan Game Adjustments Following Fish Killing Controversy

A significant number of people felt no need to question Cregger’s ability to handle the Resident Evil brand following his establishment as a new voice in the horror genre with Barbarian in 2022 and Weapons in 2025. However, not everyone shared this confidence. When the teaser presented a narrative that deviated slightly from expectations, certain doubtful viewers turned to social platforms to voice their apprehensions.

Cregger is aware of these worries, yet he holds no regret regarding his choice to examine a world corrupted by the T-Virus through a fresh lens. He believes he would not find satisfaction working on a film that relies excessively on established characters and plots. Furthermore, he is uncertain whether even the most severe critics would derive enjoyment from such an approach.

Cregger explained that he doubted his own satisfaction with such an approach.

“But if I did that I don’t think I’d be creatively fulfilled, and I don’t even think they would enjoy it,” “If I just did the story of the games, I think the most diehard fans would be bummed. So I don’t know what to do about it.”

The Resident Evil film directed by Cregger will either meet or miss expectations when it arrives in cinemas on September 18, 2026. In the meantime, readers can discover why the series’ unofficial loremaster is urging fans to exercise patience.

What is your Opinion?